Monday, December 12, 2011

So Far So Good… So Why Do I Feel Like Crying

Nothing changed. The mass is steady and there’s a 50/50 chance it’s not cancer. Great… right? Still alive and kicking… still have insurance… still have a job… still have a wonderful husband and a bright son… so why do I feel like crying?

I think I’ve been so overwhelmed with emotional situations lately that I may be exploding… not brains on the wall… but emotional meltdown… and I think it’s probably 100% normal. My friend Karn’s mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Karn has been strong and supportive… through the mastectomy and now through the chemotherapy. She’s been the perfect daughter. All while losing a cat, having a car break down, working for a horrible boss, and being lonely having not found love… etc… etc… and she has stayed strong…. A tough outer layer… but I’ve seen cracks. Every once in a while her eyes turn red, and her voice cracks.

We all crack.

My cracking points…

The mass in my breast…
House full of mold…
Neighbor damaging my property because he isn’t maintaining his plumbing…
One sister is struggling financially at a job where the boss treats her horribly and there’s nothing I can do about it…
One sister has her dream job… but she has no faith... she's made selfish choices… and she is sucking every penny out of my parents’ bank account… their retirement money.

We all crack. I’m cracking… The trick is to use a strong and reliable adhesive to put those cracks back together. Faith and prayer can keep you from coming completely apart… give it to God and keep on walking.

I met this beautiful girl and Walmart yesterday. I firmly believe that Walmart must only hire saints and sages because I run into the most amazing people there. She was young… maybe 28… maybe… she had 6 kids. SIX KIDS! Dear patient Mary, 6…. I can’t even imagine. Her husband left her. It’s two weeks till Christmas. I told her that I thought she was an inspiration and I didn’t know how she could do it. She said she just prays on it and keeps on walking.

That’s all any of us can do I guess. Pray on it and keep on walking. There’s so much in this world that is beyond us. 7 billion people in the world and many of them living worse than animals and there is nothing we can do about it except give our little, pray on it, and keep on walking.

Their parents selling their children into slavery and there is nothing we can do about it except pray, and keep on walking.

Two people die every second, and there is nothing you can do about it. Except pray. Keep on walking.

But have faith. There is immense power in prayer.

Jesus tells us, "…I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" (Matthew 17:20).

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 tells us, "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

The Bible urges us, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18).

Whatever hardships you face, whatever sorrow you see, for whatever joy and blessings you receive. Pray. Prayers are heard, and answered in ways we cannot conceive.

When you reach your cracking point and the pain and sorry seems more than you can handle, pray. And keep on walking. Because you are not alone. None of us is. We are here together with angels, spirits, and God who really do care about each one of us.

Pray to Jesus, to God, to Mary, just pray. The words can come from your heart, or perhaps the words come from prayers that are older than you… it doesn’t matter. Just pray. And keep on walking:

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Have a blessed Monday.
True

No comments:

Post a Comment