Monday, October 10, 2011

Unanswered Prayers

I think I have probably had more unanswered prayers than answered. Or maybe the answer just wasn’t what I expected, or it wasn’t answered in the time that I had envisioned. But I know that they were all heard. My brother is working on his PhD in psychology. He’s incredibly smart: always thinking, always working on an answer to some problem. He says he’s an agnostic.

I spoke to him recently about the miracles I have seen. About my answered prayers. His answer to that was to tell me that our minds search for answers that it can make sense of. It seems he’s more of an atheist than an agnostic. He has no spiritual faith. My guess is that he doesn’t pray. My prayers always affirm my faith. When life is shaky and everything is falling apart, the answers to my prayers always tell me to keep the faith…keep believing… know that I’m not alone. When I send up a prayer with all my soul, and the answer comes to me so perfectly, it leaves no room for doubt that we are not alone. I wish he could have that same experience. To know God’s love, God’s sense of humor, His mercy, and kindness…

I just don’t have those kinds of conversations with my brother anymore. But I’ll pray for him. I’ll pray that one day he sees the truth and it fills him with joy.

“Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”
- Garth Brooks

"Prayer means that the total you is praying. Your whole being reaches out to God, and God reaches down to you." - E. Stanley Jones

"Some people think that prayer just means asking for things, and if they fail to receive exactly what they asked for, they think the whole thing is a fraud." - Gerald Vann

Just a few of my answered prayers…

My son…

My husband…

I received an email from God when I thought I was going to lose my job…

1,000 signs that God was with me when I felt so alone…

I’m still here…

The tumors aren’t malignant…

"A faith is a necessity to a man. Woe to him who believes in nothing." - Victor Hugo

"A man of courage is also full of faith." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"All who call on God in true faith, earnestly from the heart, will certainly be heard, and will receive what they have asked and desired." - Martin Luther

If you have a story about an answered prayer or a miracle you have witnessed and you would like me to share it here, shoot me an email at truestillwater@yahoo.com. I would love to share your story.

Trust that if a prayer has gone unanswered, it was only so something more magnificent than you could even imagine is manifesting. Sometimes are prayers are not big enough for God. Sometimes our imaginations are too limited. But don’t worry… His imagination is more boundless than the stars…

Have an awesome day!
True

3 comments:

  1. i'll encourage you to keep talking with your brother. Stay open about your faith in God to him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe all prayers are actually answered. It's just that sometimes they are not the answers we want and therefore we don't see them as answers.

    Blessings,
    Sherry

    Daily Spiritual Tools, the blog
    Daily Spiritual Tool, the book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the comments! You are both right. I will keep talking to J... and prayers are always answered... Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete